Monday, 18 June 2012

Carrots and Working Chooks

Here's another post from Carolyn...



I have to date been unsuccessful in my attempts to grow carrots.  A neighbour had told us when we moved in 9 years ago, not even to bother.  I tucked the information away as a challenge to be addressed at a later date.

This week I was reading a Xanthe White book – all lovely with glossy photos – and got another tip for fighting the carrot white fly to add to my collection which so far consists of

·         cover seed after planting with fleece – as in unspun wool (and I have some)

·         barriers around the sendlings may help protect them as apparently  white fly keep fairly low to the ground

·         companion plant with garlic and onions

·         neem tree granules should help deter any unwanted visitors.

 So into a large black planter, that is reasonably high, I have placed neem tree granules, my precious wee seeds, a couple of garlic cloves and a light layer of fleece.  I’ve crossed my fingers and we’ll see what happens.


I also now have ‘working chickens’ – I have two bantams, Butter and Meggie, who have not laid any egg since January.  Robbie threatens to knock them off but as they are my last two originals I’m not ready to let them go yet.  I saw Kath Irvine’s,  previous Green gardener ,  set up for her chocks to work her garden beds.  While our garden is not as well planned and has evolved, as does life for many of us mere mortals, I am giving it a go.  I have used a random collection of stakes and pools to hold up some plastic mesh and have thrown bird netting over the top – these two are known for their flying capabilities – clipped or not.  Hey also get to use an old rabbit hutch I got from free cycle, which Rob has put a nice new lid , and I figure that perches are a privilege for those that lay.

Yesterday I pronounced there first project complete they have worked the soil and demolished all but a few select weeds – they don’t seem to like dock or a clover type weed, and I am really hoping they like mustard as their new project is in a bed with a green crop.   The ’caging’ set up may not be pretty but it works and they are doing something useful, so it’s a win/win.  I will now remove the remaining weeds from the first bed, aerate with a fork and tuck down till spring with a layer of compost and mulch.  I love playing in my garden.


This is their first project at completion

This is their current project – This was taken two weeks ago and I am pleased to report they are doing well.



No comments:

Post a Comment