Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Some Random Thoughts


Where to start – so many things have been happening – this
competition really makes you think about life and your impact on the planet. Following is a brief run down on some of the stuff that’s been happening in our garden, kitchen and Christmas preparations.

In the Garden

When we first started talking about the greenest street competition two households that are not full participants said they would happily contribute their scraps to our compost and have been given 10lt buckets with lids and all is ticking along well - we had one household already contributing so our compost and worm farm are doing well. Then there is Tony who is passing his cooked food scraps our way for the chooks. Our chooks are very happy and I have already enquired about one of his recipes – the scraps smell so yummy.

I propagated a large number of seedlings, mainly tomatoes for the school gala - I love growing tomatoes. They were ready a few weeks early but I was pleased I managed to keep them growing strong and healthy with a seaweed liquid feed I had brewed. Several of the neighbours made the most of the opportunity and supported the school and now have full vege patches. I have most of my tomatoes planted out – a few over in my patch at the neighbours, some in 3 places in our main gardens down the back then some in bags the potting mix came in up the top. I got hit by the blight a few years ago and will never put all my toms in one spot again – I cried that year.

When my seedling were small I covered them with the bottom ends of soft drink bottles – had to do some recycling bin raids – the 2 ½ lt ones were best – I cut breathing holes in the top and it just helped protect them from the wind and cool during those early days – and snails for that matter.

Our raspberries are doing well and we have some in the freezer ready for a jamming session and I experimented with a desert the other night – a little refinement is required with regards to consistency but the taste was seriously good.

Today I planted out more corn – I have put the seed straight in this time, so we’ll see how they go. I also planted a small patch of carrots – I recently bought some neem tree granules and it recommended they could be used against carrot fly, so I have lightly worked them into the soil as per the instructions – fingers crossed that one day I will be able to successfully grow carrots.

My comfrey is finally growing well and I harvested a bunch of leaves for another brew. I have
really noticed the effect of the liquid feeds on my sprouting broccoli – they have just kept on going and they have been the largest sprouts I have ever had before – we are still going on my last few plants – my other garden favourite. My next mission is to sow some more broccoli seeds but I am going to put neem tree granules in the seed raising mix – something I read suggested that they might take it in to the leaves and then the caterpillars won’t like them – I live in hope and figure it is worth a try – will keep you posted.
In the Kitchen

We had family visit from the Hawkes Bay bearing gifts which included a large bundle of rhubarb some of which has gone into an experimental rhubarb gin – based on a recipe from a reliable source. We will be testing this week – best I get this blog done before that jar is opened.
I have been making yogurt from a starter I got from a workmate – I am doing it in an old Agee jar and simply wrapping it in a towel in the cylinder cupboard – I have figured out it is best if left just 6-8 hours, after that it seems to get bitter. Made a riata with it tonight – yum! Have
added fruit and the kids gobbled it down. I think I need a cow!

I made a batch of lemon curd as I had a plentiful supply of eggs and lemons. I gave some as a gift
to a friend; she quickly decided this was something she was not going to be sharing with her kids. The short fridge life was still not going to be an issue.
Christmas

Our eldest got the Christmas bug early so we made salt doughand he was away with his own idea of an advent countdown tree, taking off a home decorated peg and adding a new salt dough decoration each day.
We also received a decorated egg carton with 12 very yummy mini carrot cake cup cakes complete with cream cheese icing. Completely environmentally friendly – going to use that idea.

And Finally Nappies

I have gone a bit cold on my nappy recycling attempt – I was taking the insides out – wet ones only – and popping it in different places in my garden. It seems to act very like mulch – but I’m not sure the soil gets to breath. My enquiries into what was actu ally used in the insides got answers that were way too short and I don’t want to contaminate my garden until I have experimented a bit more. But I can’t help thinking the gell could have great benefits for retaining water in our sandy soils. And they make up a third of out weekly rubbish – I live in hope of nappies becoming a distant memory.

I will try to be more regular, so you don’t get such a big blast next time. Wish there were more
hours in a day.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment